Calgarians looking for some of the city’s finest entertainment will be getting more for less at Theatre Calgary.
The company announced their 2023-24 lineup of productions this week, alongside a sweetened 50 per cent reduction in main floor prices thanks to the support of Theatre Calgary sponsors—now only $39.
“This year marks the introduction of Theatre for All, a new initiative that will make the high-quality theatre we produce more
accessible and affordable than ever,” said Theatre Calgary Executive Director Maya Choldin.
“As Calgarians continue to pay more for groceries and gas, we’re making it easier to escape to a night of theatre. This is truly a great opportunity for more of Calgary to be entertained by Theatre Calgary.”
The upcoming season will be featuring some classic stories from Agatha Christie and Charles Dickens, a mashup of The Beatles and Shakespere, a play written by comedian and author Steve Martin, and works from Albertan artists Farren Timoteo, Maria Crooks, and Caroline Russell-King.
“We want to continue to welcome Calgarians back to our theatre, and there’s no better way to put a spring in one’s step than with a variety of feel-good shows that are guaranteed to lift the spirits of our audiences,” said Theatre Calgary Artistic Director Stafford Arima.
“Not only do we get to bring some very recognizable writers and music to our stage, but are able to showcase an amazing Alberta playwright and actor, and a world premiere from two Calgary playwrights.”
The new season begins on September 12 at the Max Bell Theatre in Arts Commons.
Single tickets go on sale in August. Season ticket renewals and new season ticket sales will open soon at www.theatrecalgary.com/season2324.
A pre-season performance of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night Dream is also being performed as part of the Shakespeare on the Bow program from July 14 through August 6.
Theatre Calgary’s 2023-24 season:
- Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap, directed by Craig Hall—September 12 through October 8, 2023. Take in the world’s longest running murder mystery in a brand new production on the Max Bell Theatre stage.
- Farren Timoteo’s Made In Italy, directed by Daryl Cloran—October 17 through November 11, 2023. In this comedic solo-show, a young Italian immigrant tells stories of his and his father’s generational experiences in 1970s Jasper.
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, adapted for the stage by Geoffrey Simon Brown—November 30 through December 31, 2023. Calgary’s favourite Christmas classic is returning to the Max Bell Theatre stage, with the sumptuous sets and large casts that have made A Christmas Carol a beloved Christmas tradition.
- Steve Martin’s Meteor Shower, directed by Lezlie Wade—January 23, 2024 through February 11, 2024. Steve Martin’s signature wit and comedy pits two couples through increasing personal chaos as a once in a lifetime meteor shower takes place during a dinner party. Amy Schumer was nominated for a Tony Award for her performance during the initial Broadway run.
- William Shakespeare and The Beatles’ As You Like It, adapted and directed by Daryl Cloran—February 27, 2024 through March 24, 2024. The Bard meets the Beatles in this mashup of As You Like It, featuring the music of the Fab Four.
- World premiere of Selma Burke—April 2, 2024 through April 27, 2024. The world premiere of the story of Harlem Renaissance sculptor Selma Burke, who created but never received credit for creating the relief of Franklin Roosevelt on the American dime. A story of courage, persistence, romance, and justice.
- Season ending surprise musical—May 18, 2024 through June 16, 2024. Theatre Calgary is ending off their 2023-24 season with a surprise musical, to be announced in June.