Remote learning to continue at Alberta schools, scenarios for fall classes

Alberta Education Minister, Adriana LaGrange is one of the many government officials speaking out on the importance of domestic abuse prevention in the provincial governments new program funding announcement June 11. SCREENSHOT

Alberta students will return to studies this fall under three possible scenarios, the province said Wednesday.

In a Wednesday update on the province’s re-entry plan, Alberta Education Minister Adriana LaGrange confirmed once again that students would not be returning back to in-person classes this year.

They would, however, continue with remote learning.

LaGrange said she’s working with school boards, teachers, parents and students as well as Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, on the ideal fall re-entry plan.

“I want to thank our teachers, school support staff, administrators, education partners and parents for quickly adapting to our current reality and helping ensure that their children continue to learn as best as possible under the circumstances,” she said.

“I know everyone is making the effort to connect students.”

The three scenarios that Albertan’s could be facing as the school year approaches include a full return to normal classes and a continuation of remote learning.

  • Scenario 1: A full return to classes with health measures in place to monitor changing situations.
  • Scenario 2: A partial return to classes with limited class sizes and health/social distancing measures in place.
  • Scenario 3: No return to classes with remote education continuing for the academic school calendar.

If health restrictions aren’t lifted, LaGrange says the government has provided 6,000 devices so students can learn from home. These devices includes tablets and laptops.

LaGrange said that the re-entry plan is a changing situation and will be closely monitored. No decision has been made.

“We hope for the best, but we are planing for the worst,” she said.

Alberta school funding will be restored: LaGrange

As LaGrange has mentioned previously, funding for schools will be restored as of July 1. She went on to say that, “every single school division will see an increase in their funding.”

This update coming from the projected operational funding for the 2020/2021 school year the government sent out to all school districts on Tuesday.

Megan Geyer with the Calgary Board of Education said they had no comment on the province’s plan.

“We have no information further to that shared by Minister LaGrange today,” she said.

“In-person classes at CBE schools continue to be cancelled indefinitely, and CBE students are learning from home.”

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. Full, in-person classes expected for fall opening of Alberta schools - LiveWire Calgary

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.