Explosion in northeast Calgary home set off by hair dryer: Fire officials

No one was injured after a small fire damaged a second storey bathroom

Calgary fire officials say the heat from a hair dryer caused a nearby aerosol can to explode at a Coral Springs home. LIVEWIRE FILE PHOTO

No one was injured after an explosion on the second floor of a Coral Springs home that Calgary fire investigators say was caused by an overheated aerosol can.

Around 1 p.m. Thursday a woman called 9-1-1 to report a possible explosion at her Coral Reef Manor home. The caller thought the explosion happened on the second floor of the home and when she went upstairs the bathroom door had been blown off its hinges and towels were on fire.

The woman extinguished the flames and when firefighters arrived they found evidence of an explosion and small fire. Further investigation revealed that a hair dryer that had been plugged in heated a nearby aerosol dry shampoo and caused the explosion.

Fire officials said there was damage to the door, cabinet and bathtub tiles due to the explosion. They are now looking at the hair dryer to see if there was a potential malfunction.

Calgary fire would like to remind people to unplug appliances like curling irons, flat irons and hair dryers when not in use and place them away from anything that can burn or is combustible.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.