The Alberta government has outlined a plan for the easing of restrictions based on the number of people hospitalized by COVID-19.
What you need to know:
- In the past 24 hours, 543 new cases have been identified. There are 594 in hospital and 110 in ICU. There were 14 new deaths bringing the total to 1620.
- There were 12 new cases of the COVID-19 variant (31 of the UK variant and six of the South Africa variant)
- A four-step plan was unveiled by the province as a “road map” to easing of health restrictions.
- Step 1 will be implemented February 8, the province said.
- “This roadmap sets out a clear path for when and how Albertans will see some easing of health measures. By outlining the benchmarks we must achieve to see more reopenings, we are offering hope and a path forward. But we have to proceed with caution. This stepped approach will only work if Albertans continue to follow existing health measures and make good choices to keep our numbers trending down. It’s up to each one of us to maintain our vigilance.” – Premier Jason Kenney.