People. Powered. News.
If everyone that viewed a story in May 2020 (90,000) contributed $1, just once, we’d have enough funds to sustain our current operation for two years.
If those same visitors contributed just $1 per month we could:
- Fund 6 full-time daily news journalists
- Fund a deep investigation team with two journalists (with research budget)
- Fund 2 full-time photographers
- Fund a dedicated online / social media editor
- Fund an additional assignment / content editor (fact check, work with writers)
- Continue to fund ongoing freelance content
- Fund a small, centrally-located, public-facing street location where journalists come together
… and we’d still have money left over for special projects or community endeavours.
A question we often ask, is, “would patrons walk into a coffee shop and not contribute for the coffee?” Why is news different?
It’s a conversation we’re hoping to have with Calgarians. It doesn’t take much to fund a robust local news team.
If you’re having trouble finding news that reflects your neighbourhood or your community, we understand.
That’s why we exist. We’re here to fill that growing void. To do it, we need members just like you.
- We’ve published more than 1,875 stories.
- We reached more than 228,000 Calgarians in 2019; 306,000 already in 2020 (and growing!)
- We’ve touched on more than 81 Calgary communities.
- We’ve enlisted the skills of more than 25 local freelance writers.
- We’ve worked with 7 freelance photographers
- We’ve published multiple
The reality is, we’re still a
Building a new media model
Many people have asked for a single pay membership option. We listened. We chose PayPal because it’s effective, well-known and trusted. Many of you already use it for your secure online transactions.
Your new membership: Thank you!
The same rules apply here as they do on Patreon. Any membership contribution made will go straight to journalism. It won’t go to operations. That means any contribution you make has a DIRECT impact on the number of stories we can tell.
PLEASE NOTE: We are not a charity, nor are we a non-profit organization or society. Tax receipts will not be issued.
As always – your feedback on this new single pay membership system is welcome! Hit up our editor, Darren Krause with questions.