Feel good about your information and become a local news champion today

Arrest made in Colton Crowshoe homicide

UPDATE: Wiley Provost, 27, of Calgary, has now been charged with one count of second-degree murder in relation to the death of Colton Crowshoe, Calgary police said.

Almost eight years to the day of his disappearance, Calgary police have made an arrest in the murder of Calgary teen Colton Crowshoe.

On July 4, 2014, Crowshoe went missing from a house party in the Abbeydale area. Three weeks later first responders received reports of a body in a storm retention pond along Stoney Trail and 16 Avenue NE.

After an autopsy, it was determined that Crowshoe died by homicide.

Since that time, Calgary police said they have interviewed witnesses and scoured CCTV video. Recently, they put out a public plea for more information on Crowshoe’s death.

On July 7, one person was taken into custody without incident, police said.

Members of the public had come forward with new evidence that allowed police to advance their investigation.

“Assistance from the public is vital in investigations like these,” said Staff Sergeant Sean Gregson of the CPS Homicide Unit.

“In this case, we are grateful that members of the public came forward and trusted our investigators with their information so that we could bring closure to Colton’s family.”

Accused known to Crowshoe: Police

According to police, the accused and Crowshoe left the party together that night.

They were known to each other, police said.

It’s alleged that Crowshoe was killed a short time later and the body dumped into the retention pond where he was found. 

Calgary police said that investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the killing.

“Our homicide detectives have been incredibly persistent throughout this investigation,” said Sgt. Gregson.

“Homicide investigations require support from resources across the Service, and for eight years our CPS investigators have worked together tirelessly to find answers for Colton’s family.”

The accused’s name will be released once formal charges are laid, police said.