Feel good about your information and become a local news champion today

Sex assault charges laid against former Calgary junior high teacher

Seventeen charges have been laid against a former Calgary teacher at a southwest junior high school.

The initial investigation stems from an alleged 2001 incident involving a canoe trip not sanctioned by the John Ware Junior High School, Calgary police said.

A woman involved in that trip first reported the incident to Calgary police in September 2020. According to police, the alleged offenses involved the undressing of the victim and other female students during that trip.

While investigating the allegations, Calgary police identified five other women who also reported sexual involvement with the same teacher between 1999 and 2005. Police said it’s believed the teacher used a position of trust to groom the girls and put them into situations where the acts could take place.

Michael Andreassen Gregory, 57 of DeWinton, Alta., is facing six charges of sexual assault. He’s also facing 11 counts of sexual exploitation in relation.

Gregory taught at John Ware Junior High School from August 1986 to September 2006, police said.

“There can be a lot of confusion and mixed emotions when a young person experiences exploitation by someone they trusted,” said Staff Sergeant Michelle Doyle of the Calgary Police Service Sex Crimes Unit.

“It can often take many years before the person looks back on it and realizes that what happened was not okay and that it needs to be reported.”

It’s the second case in a week where the Calgary police have laid charges in a case that’s several years old. They said there’s no statute of limitations on sex offences in Canada.

CBE cooperating with the investigation

The Calgary Board of Education provided a statement on the charges.

“The Calgary Board of Education is aware of the charges laid against a former employee. The CBE has and will continue to cooperate with the Calgary Police Service during this investigation,” the statement read.

They said they wouldn’t provide further comment as the investigation is ongoing.