The first case of the COVID-19 variant in Alberta, not directly traced to international travel, has been reported.
What you need to know:
- Travel changes were announced: International travellers returning to Alberta through Calgary (or the Coutts border crossing) will have to remain in isolation between their first and second COVID-19 tests. Travellers will also have to self-isolate for two weeks if either test is positive.
- Alberta has 20 known cases of the COVID-19 variant and there are five other cases of a strain from South Africa.
- Public health restrictions remain in place.
- 362 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in the past 24 hours. There were 25 more deaths reported. There are 637 in hospital, with 113 of those in intensive care.
- “There’s no question that this kind of exponential growth would push our health-care system to the brink.” – Alberta Health Minister Tyler Shandro on the potential spread of the COVID-19 variant.