Calgary Fire Department tackles chlorine leak at Repsol Sports Centre

Potentially lethal gas was contained to a single room and all staff exited safely

Calgary Fire Department.

The Calgary Fire Department donned Hazmat suits to tackle a chlorine leak at the Repsol Sports Centre early Tuesday morning.

The call came in at 1:05 a.m., according to a press release from the department.

Staff told responders that they had received an alarm that there was a possible leak in the isolated chlorine room. They had left the building after hearing the alarm.

The crews set up a no entry zone at the building, and dispatched the Hazardous Materials technical team to investigate.

Once suited up and in the isolated room, the team was able to shut down all chlorine supplies. Levels had reached 50 parts per million inside the isolation room, but other monitoring devices throughout the building did not indicate any chlorine.

The cause of the leak is still under investigation. Staff are now back in the building.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.