Feel good about your information and become a local news champion today

MEN’S HOCKEY: Golden Bears top MRU Cougars in overtime

EDMONTON – Riley Kieser scored the game-tying goal with 13 seconds left, before Curtis Miske netted the winner in overtime as the Alberta Golden Bears swept the Mount Royal Cougars with a 3-2 win, Saturday night at Clare Drake Arena.

The win is the second-straight for the Golden Bears in OT, as they captured the series opener with a 4-3 win the previous night in Calgary. Miske scored a pair for the Golden Bears in the win, while Kieser extended his team lead in points with his goal late in the third. With the consecutive wins, the Golden Bears also improve to 4-2-0 this season, while the loss drops MRU to 2-2-2.

Kord Pankewicz and Ryley Lindgren found the scoresheet for the Cougars on Saturday.

Alberta’s Kenny Cameron stopped 18 of the 20 shots he faced for the Bears. Cougars starter Colin Cooper was fantastic, making 37 saves on 40 shots despite the loss.

After a thrilling overtime game the night prior, the two teams carried over the momentum into the first period on Saturday. Each side had a handful of chances to open the scoring, but the respective goaltenders played a strong opening 20. Cooper made nine first-period stops, including three on the Bears first powerplay chance of the game.

Miske opened the scoring early in the second period, beating Cooper from a tough angle tight to the Cougars net. The goal was the second for the rookie this season, and it gave the Bears a 1-0 edge. The lead would be shortlived, however, as Mount Royal tied the game a little over a minute later. Brad Kennedy‘s stretch pass found a streaking Pankewicz, who beat Cameron on an abbreviated breakaway.

Lindgren gave Mount Royal their first lead of the night five minutes later, blowing a point shot past Cameron off a Cougar faceoff win.

That lead would last for more than 30 minutes, as the Bears couldn’t muster an equalizer late in the second or early in the third. Cooper held his ground exceptionally well during that time, making 23 saves.

The Bears offensive onslaught and barrage of shots finally potted them the tying goal, as Kieser tipped in a Cole Sanford shot with 13 seconds left.

Alberta carried their momentum into the extra frame, as Miske netted the game-winner just 3:35 in, banging in a rebound kicked out by Cooper in the crease.

The Bears will look to extend their winning streak next week, as they host the UBC Thunderbirds. The Mount Royal Cougars will return home for a weekend set against the Manitoba Bisons.